1. Kathak exponent Sitara Devi
Google has marked the birth anniversary of Kathak exponent Sitara Devi with a colourful doodle.
About Sitara Devi:
* The legendary dancer, described by Rabindranath Tagore as ‘Nritya Samragini,’ was born in Kolkata on November 8, 1920.
* Sitara Devi was hugely responsible for popularising the classical dance form.
* In her career spanning six decades, she performed at several well-known concerts including at the Royal Albert Hall, London and Carnegie Hall, New York introducing the dance form to a global audience.
* The legendary dancer was also part of many Hindi movies. She went to Mumbai (then Bombay) as a child artiste. Her first film as a child actor was Aurat Ka Dil. She also starred in Phool by Mughal-e-Azam famed director K. Asif, whom she later went on to marry. After the marriage ended with him, she married Pratap Barot.
* Her father, Sukhadev Maharaj — a Vaishnavite scholar who was a learned dancer and musician — was known as the source of the Benaras gharana of Kathak. Well-versed in Natya Shastra, Sukhadev Maharaj taught Sitara Devi the concepts of tandava andl asya.
* Sitara Devi passed away on 25 November, 2014.
2. Manipur to host International Sangai fest from Nov 21
Manipur will be hosting the 10-day Sangai International Festival beginning November 21, that will feature polo and a 21-km half marathon among other activities, with most countries confirming their participation. The event will be inaugurated by President Ram Nath Kovind.
Sangai festival is an annual cultural festival organised by Manipur Tourism Department every year from November 21 to 30. Even though many editions of this Festival has been celebrated over the past few years with the name of Tourism Festival, since 2010 this has been renamed as the Sangai Festival to stage the uniqueness of the shy and gentle brow-antlered deer popularly known as the Sangai Deer, which is the state animal of Manipur. As this festival is being celebrated to promote Manipur as a world class tourism destination, it showcases the best of what the state has to offer to the world in terms of art and culture, handloom, handicrafts & fine arts, indigenous sports, cuisines & music, eco & adventure sports as well as the scenic natural beauty of the land.