Country's first-of-its-kind dictionary, which aims to bring uniformity in sign languages used by hearing and speech impaired people across the nation
Know about sign language dictionary:
- The Indian Sign Language (ISL) dictionary, which has been developed by the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC)
- comprises 3,000 Hindi and English words and their corresponding graphic representation of the signs which are used in daily life.
- The dictionary is available both in print and video format.
- To remove communication barriers between the deaf and hearing impaired communities as it is focused on providing more information in Indian sign language
About words of dictionary:
The words in dictionary are divided into five five categories-- Everyday, Legal, Academic, Medical, and Technical terms, , the statement said.
- Everyday terms category includes words that are used in everyday communication.
- Legal category includes videos for 237 legal terms and explains legal words like affidavit, acquittal, etc., that are used in various legal situations.
- Academic terms help deaf children understand complex academic concepts and contains explanations for terms like "nervous system", "rotation" and "revolution", etc. The words are from various subjects like Physics, Geography, Biology, Maths, among others. This category contains 229 videos for 212 terms.
- Medical category includes 200 sign videos for 200 medical terms to help the deaf community understand the medical terminologies used in hospitals and in medical situations.
- Technical category has 206 videos of signs and explanations for 204 technical terms that are used in vocational training or in computer courses.