Lockheed Martin, which is the world’s largest defence company has offered to relocate its entire production line to India and intends to create an F-16 “assembly line” in India.
F-16 Fighting Falcon:
- It is a single-engine supersonic multirole fighter aircraft originally developed by General Dynamics (now Lockheed Martin) for the United States Air Force (USAF).
- Designed as an air superiority day fighter, it evolved into a successful all-weather multirole aircraft.
- Although no longer being purchased by the U.S. Air Force, improved versions are being built for export customers.
- F-16 jets give India a unique opportunity to be at the centre of the world’s largest fighter aircraft ecosystem
- It is a programme with proven performance to meet its operational needs and ‘Make in India’ priorities.
- The F-16 provides unprecedented manufacturing, sustainment, upgrade and export opportunities to Indian industry well into the future.
- The F-16 remains the backbone of the US Air Force, the world’s most capable air force.
- Structural and avionic upgrades to the US F-16 fleet will extend service life to 2045, while the F-16 becomes even more capable as technology enhancements from the F-22 and F-35 are continuously integrated across all three platforms.