The largest tree-borne fruit widely known for its distinctive taste and aroma, the jackfruit, is set to be declared as the official fruit of Kerala on March 21.
Give a fillip to the production and sale of jackfruit and its value-added products
Know about Jackfruit:
- The jackfruit is a species of tree in the fig, mulberry, and breadfruit family (Moraceae) native to southwest India
- The jackfruit tree is well suited to tropical lowlands, and its fruit is the largest tree-borne fruit,
- A mature jackfruit tree can produce about 100 to 200 fruits in a year.
- The jackfruit is a multiple fruit, composed of hundreds to thousands of individual flowers, and it is the fleshy petals that are eaten.
- The jackfruit tree is a widely cultivated and popular food item throughout the tropical regions of the world.
- Jackfruit is the national fruit of Bangladesh and the state fruit of the Indian states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu.