A Regional Conference on Water Resources of Southern States viz Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and UT of Puducherry was organised at Hyderabad
Addressing outstanding water resources issues:
- Cauvery-Godavari link project to divert surplus water of Godavari river to Cauvery river through Godavari (Akinepalli)-Cauvery (Grand Anicut) link project
- The proposal consists of construction of a barrage across Godavari River at Akinepalli in Telangana. The surplus Godavari waters available at proposed Akinepalli barrage is envisaged to be lifted by a height of 132m in 3 stages for transfer to existing Nagarjunasagar reservoir across Krishna.
- Mahanadi-Godavari-Krishna-Pennar-Cauvery-Vaigai-Gundar linking scheme has been identified as the “nine link system” which will benefit the Southern States.
- Basin wise approach would be adopted to resolve issues among the basin states by convening Basin-wise meetings.
- The Regional Conference will be organized in other regions of the country to address outstanding water resources issues including inter-State issues.
The Inter State River Water Disputes (Amendment) Bill, 2017
- The Inter State River Water Disputes (Amendment) Bill, 2017, which amends the Inter State River Water Disputes Act, 1956 was introduced in Lok Sabha on 14.03.2017
- The Bill envisages constituting a standalone Tribunal with permanent establishment and permanent office space and infrastructure so as to obviate with the need to set up a separate Tribunal for each water dispute which is invariably a time-consuming process.
- The proposed amendments in the Bill will speed up the adjudication of water disputes referred to it.
List of major Inter-State Water disputes
- Godavari Water Disputes - Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh & Odisha
- Krishna Water Disputes- Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka
- Narmada Water Disputes- Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra
- Ravi & Beas Water - Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan
- Cauvery Water Disputes- Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Puduchery
- Krishna Water Disputes- Karnataka, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra
- Vansadhara Water Disputes- Andhra Pradesh &Odisha
- Mahadayi Water Disputes- Goa, Karnataka and Maharashtra