The State Cabinet of Karnataka decided to set up the Babu Jagjivan Ram Development Corporation for the uplift of the Madiga (SC) community.
- Ahead of elections, members of the Madiga community have been demanding internal quota within the Scheduled Castes reservation, as per the A.J. Sadashiva Commission Report.
- separate corporation would be set up for the Madiga community for their social and economic welfare.
- A sum of ₹500 crore would be set aside for the corporation for taking up welfare measures
Mr. Rahul Gandhi has promised separate quota for the Madiga community if the Congress turns victor in the Assembly polls.
Know about Madiga:
- Madiga are a Dalit artisan group.
- They are classified as a Scheduled Caste in India's system of positive discrimination and are found primarily in the southern Indian states of Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu.
- The Madiga were historically marginalised and oppressed. Their socio-economic standing today has been improved through the impact of their classification as a Scheduled Caste.
- The Dalit activist Lelle Suresh made a critically acclaimed documentary film about the community, titled Mahadiga, in 2004.