The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, has inaugurated the new building of the Central Information Commission (CIC) in New Delhi.
- An “empowered citizen” is the strongest pillar of our democracy. The Government has been informing and empowering people through various means.
- PM enumerated five pillars of the modern information highway.
- To ask questions (Sawaal).
- Listening to suggestions (Sujhaav).
- Interaction (Sanvaad).
- Activity (Sakreeyta).
- Information (Soochna).
The Central Information Commission (CIC):
- The Central Information Commission has been constituted with effect from 12-10-2005 under the Right to Information Act, 2005. The jurisdiction of the Commission extends over all Central Public Authorities.
- The Commission includes 1 Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) and not more than 10 Information Commissioners (IC) who are appointed by the President of India.
- The first Chief Information Commissioner of India was Wajahat Habibullah. The present Chief Information Commissioner of India is Radha Krishna Mathur.
- CIC and members are appointed by the President of india on the recommendation of a committee consisting of—Prime Minister as Chairperson, the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha; a Union Cabinet Minister to be nominated by the Prime Minister.
- There are two woman who became CIC till now first is Ms Deepak Sandhu (4th CIC) and Second Ms Sushma Singh(5th CIC).