Veteran actor Sridevi, who had an illustrious career spanning over four decades, passed away in Dubai. She was 54.
About actress Sridevi:
- Sridevi made her debut as a child actor in Thunaivan in 1969.
- Her first leading role as an adult came in 1976 with two of India’s biggest actors — Kamal Haasan and Rajinikanth — in the K. Balachander film Moondru Mudichu.
- She followed that up Gayathri, Kavikkuyil and 16 Vayathinilie, with the last one being a critically acclaimed hit.
- Bollywood debut in 1978 with Solva Sawan.
- But it was only after five years with Jeetendra-starrer Himmatwala that she gained commercial success.
- Her beguiling eyes, scintillating screen presence and acting prowess soon made her one of the most sought-after artistes in the Hindi film industry.
- She went on a hiatus for 15 years after starring in home production — Judaai — co-starring her brother-in-law Anil Kapoor and Urmila Matondkar.
- It was director Gauri Shinde’s English Vinglish in 2012 that marked Sridevi’s comeback.
- Last year, she was seen in revenge-drama — Mom — opposite Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Akshaye Khanna. She shot for a special appearance in superstar Shah Rukh Khan’s upcoming film — Zero — which releases in December. Her last film in Tamil was the Vijay-starrer Puli.